Single Leg X, Standard Ashi, Ashi
The ashi garami is a leg entanglement with your inside knee over and your outside leg under one of theirs. The trapped heel is on the outside of your body. It is a superior grip because you have both legs pinching on one of theirs. Essentially it is Single Leg X on the ground with your foot in between theirs.
- Upper body weight is over the elbow or hand
- Layover top the submission
- Eliminate space
- Try to keep your butt tight to theirs
- You are working to be on the same side as the outside leg so your head will be near the mat.
- Your outside leg goes over their leg and the heel goes to the hip
- Your inside leg goes under their inside of the non-trapped leg and you have the option of also pinching on the trapped leg but this will allow them to come up easier.
- Hide your inside foot by having under their far leg or under their butt.
- Your “Knee Grip” will not be as tight due to extending your inside leg to their leg but it should still be tight.
- Your “Arm Grip” will be on your opponent’s outside leg ankle.
- As with most leg lock positions you are looking to stay close. With your butt scooting close to their butt. Trying to keep your arms and head out of their reach.
- Your weight needs to be extending on the inside leg. Leaning on your inside arm. You are usually sitting up or on your side.
Ideal Body Type
- Works for all body types
- The outside leg on the hip keeping them from coming up
- Your inside leg on the thigh keeping them from coming up
Pro Grappler to Review
- Garry Tonon